BMW E39 Aerodynamic Lip Spoiler
Prepared by VietSB
NOTE: Perform these steps at your
own risk. All P/Ns listed are a "best guess", so please double-check with your
local dealer. These mods and repairs were performed on my US-Spec 1997 540iA
(11/96 prod date, M62 engine) but there is no guarantee they will work on other
E39s. These instructions are provided for entertainment purposes only!
BACKGROUND: The BMW supplied instructions are self-explanatory enough so most
home mechanics should have almost no problems with installation. Keep in mind
this spoiler is intended for early-model E39s which originally came with the
stubby spoiler. 2001+ models came stock with a fairly nice spoiler and round fog
lights, so I wouldn't even replace it (IMHO). Check the pics below to see if you
have the older bodywork.
It's probably recommended to install the spoiler within a couple of days of
having it professionally painted to be sure the flex agent hasn't fully cured.
- P/N 82 62 9 407 929 - BMW Aerodynamic Lip Spoiler [pre-09/00] (~$300 from
Required Tools (as listed in instructions):
- 1/4" ratchet, extension, 8mm socket
- Broad adhesive tape of good bonding strength
- Cleaning cloth
- Glue and parts included in package
- Drill with 5.5mm bit (approx 7/32")
- Floor jack+jackstands or ramps for drilling underneath the car.
- Rubber gloves
- Two people for ease of installation, especially when dealing with the
adhesive and alignment
1. Again, just carefully read and follow the supplied instructions. Here's a
before and after pic:
|Questions? Comments? E-mail